Eugenia Suarez Siempre
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Eugenia Suarez Siempre

Everything you have to know about Eugenia Suarez and more...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

GPS running watches offer improvements

Go down 
AuthorMessage
tammy

GPS running watches offer improvements Empty
PostSubject: GPS running watches offer improvements   GPS running watches offer improvements EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 10:47 am

The device does store all your data, including the exact route of your run and mile-by-mile splits if you've turned the auto-lap feature on. But you need to connect the watch to a computer with the provided cable in order to read them, something relatively easy to do. The other two units I tried let you review your splits right from the device, in addition to the computer option.

The 110 also triggers its power-save mode rather quickly. I turn on all three units several minutes before the start of my races to ensure that the devices have enough time to locate GPS signals. But at Mardi Gras and other races before it, the 110 often turned itself off before the race began.

As annoying as that may be, Garmin told me that was by design. The 110 looks the most like a regular watch, and Garmin figures people will wear it throughout the day. For that reason, it doesn't have an off button — and thus needs the automatic power save. Without it, the watch lasts just eight hours before needing a recharge.

For the same price, you can get the Forerunner 210, which lets you choose current pace instead of average pace. You can also view splits right from the watch, without having to transfer the information first.

Timex Ironman Global Trainer ($300, $360 with heart-rate monitor).

This device is far better than previous GPS running watches from Timex. But it largely plays catch-up with Garmin's GPS devices.

GPS running watches offer improvements
Page 1 of 1